While working from home during the pandemic seems like the new normal, adjusting to it has not been an easy feat, especially for HR pros. HR Managers are expected to stay connected, organized, and efficient even in a remote work setting. Additionally, hiring processes have changed drastically and employee engagement efforts look a lot different than they used to.
One of the major pain points for HR professionals in current times is delivering a flawless new hire orientation experience, even if you can’t meet face-to-face with new team members. Taking the initiative to streamline the new hire orientation process can ensure a more seamless transition and leave a great first impression.
New Hire Orientation Process
At GoCo, we know how important smooth onboarding is for new hires, and orientation plays a major part in this process. What we also know is just how many tasks fall on HR managers to create a flawless first day.
A typical new hire orientation covers topics such as:
- Administrative Support
- Providing new hires with support on the I-9 form, W-4 form, employee consent forms, background check forms, direct deposit forms and more
- Assisting in teaching procedures around building entry, employee requests, and time off requests
- Company Policies
- Giving employees background on your company’s NDA, Non-compete agreement, confidentiality agreements and more
- Reviewing benefits, stock options, employee wellness and other perks
- Providing an overview of the employee handbook, vacation policies, COVID-19 sick leave, safety guidelines
- Connecting new hires to their manager, the HR team, the IT department, and all other departments
- Scheduling meetings for new hires to get acquainted with colleagues
- Assigning mentors or buddies to help with any questions
- Work Set-Up
- Ensuring the new hire has access to all necessary equipment, from laptops to online tools
- Scheduling demos and trainings
With all of the topics covered in new hire orientation, the process can quickly become time consuming and inefficient. Automating your new hire orientation, especially during times of “Work-From-Home” can help standardize a crucial component to onboarding, while keeping everyone in sync along the way.
Benefits of Streamlining New Hire Orientation
Make a Flawless First Impression
Being able to automatically trigger task reminders and build custom orientation workflows ensures that your new employees are getting the full introduction experience to your organization. No steps skipped!
Automating your new hire orientation guarantees that materials presented to new hires remain consistent, with standardized workflows and document management.
Eliminate Paper-Based Processes
Replace your previous paper-based orientation workflows with digital communication, paper-free forms, signatures, feedback and more.
Streamlining orientation not only reduces manual labor, but also requires less in-person training time and less time compiling information for every set of new hires — not to mention the amount of money saved on paper and ink costs!
How to Automate New Hire Orientation
Now that we’ve covered the “what” and “why”, it’s time to take action. GoCo’s automated HR workflows feature makes it easy to build custom new hire orientation workflows for every team and role.
1. Create a custom orientation checklist template:
- Add name, description and icon
- Designate permissions levels
- Create tasks for company intros, tours, policy reviews, administrative support and more
- Group tasks by employee, manager, and department
- Assign orientation tasks and due dates to the appropriate team members
- Insert relevant form fields to collect information (i.e. document signatures, agreements, and more)
2. Start your new hire orientation workflow
- After you’ve created a custom template, simply select the new team member to start the orientation process.
3. Trigger alerts and view assignees and task completion status in regards to new hire orientation
GoCo’s new workflows feature reduces the pressure HR pros feel around creating a memorable new hire orientation. Schedule a demo today!